How does one eat in a healthy way? Eat the rainbow!
This recipe sounded good and tasted even better. My son shared his special recipe below for jambalaya, which can be adjusted to suit your taste. It’s incredibly simple.
“Fresh food and a calm mind will help you live a happy life!”
Old Poppa Rick’s Slow Cooked Jambalaya
- Sausage (1-1/2 lb. shaped like Bratwurst)
- Cooked shrimp (12)
- Rice (1-1/2 cups)
- Peppers: Red, Orange, Yellow, Green (1 each sliced)
- Tomato Sauce (8 oz can)
- Beef Base or Chicken Base (2-3 cups)
- Sweet Onion (1 chopped)
- Mushrooms (1 lb. sliced)
- Celery (3 stalks)
- Tomato (Beefy tomato chopped)
- Cilantro (2-3 tablespoons fresh chopped)
- Black Pepper (1/2 tsp)
- Cajan Pepper (to taste)
- Spices (1/2 tsp of ginger, oregano, sage)
- (No salt!)
- Cook the sausage and slice.
- Add to crock pot.
- Slice and chop veggies and toss into crock pot.
- Toss in uncooked rice.
- Add spices.
- Add shrimp in last hour.
- Cook on High for 4 hours or Low for 8.
EXTRA: I had a cooked chicken breast, leg and thigh, so I cut it up and added it to crock pot, along with 1 chopped garlic.
EAT: Enjoy with Corn Bread or a Green Salad.
Cheers! Here’s to you and your good health! Eat the rainbow!